History of our ParishSt Teresa of the Child Jesus
The Land for St Teresa’s was purchased in 1926 for £600! At the time , the Catholic Community of North Bristol was in the care of the Friars Minor of St. Bonaventure’s Bishopston. A Presbytery and temporary church were built in 1927 and St Teresa of Lisieux, who was canonised in 1925, was chosen as patron, one of the first parishes in the world to claim the name of the ‘Little Flower’. After the Second World War, the population of North Bristol had grown to such an extent that it was deemed necessary to build a bigger Church. Two properties were bought next to the Presbytery and the site was developed for a new Roman Basilica style Church to be built.
The Church was completed in 1961.
The interior has seen different changes over the years, but now is close to its original design.
The Parish Priests of St. Teresa’s:
Fr. John Hayes 1925 – 1927
Fr. Joseph Renehan 1927 – 1941
Fr. James Rea 1941 – 1945
Fr. Denis Lucey 1945 – 1971
Fr. Timothy Barry 1971 – 1985
Mgr. McMillan 1985 – 1987
Fr. Patrick O’Donovan 1987 – 1999
Fr. John Blacker 1999 – 2004
Fr. Tom Finnegan 2004 – 2017
Fr. James Finan 2017 – Present
History of our ParishSt Vincent de Paul
The first council estate at Southmead dates from between 1929 and 1939. Catholics who lived on the Filton side of the estate were able to attend Mass at St Teresa’s, Filton and those who lived on the Westbury side were able to attend the church of the Sacred Heart at Westbury. The increase in building on an estate after 1945 made the provision of a church essential. Mass was said each Sunday at the local community centre and in 1953 a site for a permanent church was purchased in Glencoyne Square, close to the Westbury suburb. The site cost almost £900 and by 1955 the church of St Vincent de Paul was completed. On Low Sunday 1955 the church was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Rudderham.
For several years there was no resident priest at St Vincent’s and the church was served from St Teresa’s, Filton. In 1963 Father Daniel Supple was appointed parish priest, and for the remaining twenty-nine years of his life he served the Catholics of Southmead. There is an Angelus Bell which rings out each day at noon.
In more recent years the parishes of St Teresa’s and St Vincent’s joined once again and are currently served by Father James Finan.
The Parish Priests of St Vincent’s
Father Daniel Supple 1963 – 1992
Father Michael McNulty 1992 – 1994
Father Eugene Campbell 1994 – 2000
Father George Batten 2000 – 2004
Father Tom Finnegan 2004 – 2017
Father James Finan 2017 – present