History

History of our parishes and Filton

History:

The Land for St Teresa’s was purchased in 1926 for £600! At the time , the Catholic Community of North Bristol was in the care of the Friars Minor of St. Bonaventure’s Bishopston. A Presbytery and temporary church were built in 1927 and St Teresa of Lisieux, who was canonised in 1925, was chosen as patron, one of the first parishes in the world to claim the name of the ‘Little Flower’. After the Second World War, the population of North Bristol had grown to such an extent that it was deemed necessary to build a bigger Church. Two properties were bought next to the Presbytery and the site was developed for a new Roman Basilica style Church to be built.

The Church was completed in 1961.

The interior has seen different changes over the years, but now is close to its original design.

The Parish Priests of St. Teresa’s: 1925 – 1927

Fr. John Hayes 1927 – 1941

Fr. Joseph Renehan 1941 – 1945

Fr. James Rea 1945 – 1971

Fr. Denis Lucey 1971 – 1985

Fr. Timothy Barry 1985 – 1987

Mgr. McMillan 1987 – 1999

Fr. Patrick O’Donovan 1999 – 2004

Fr. John Blacker 2004 – 2017

Fr. Tom Finnegan 2017 – Present

Fr. James Finan

Filton:

The Parish of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus is set in Filton, an outer suburb of the City of Bristol. The suburb, formerly a village on the outskirts of Bristol, grew extensively in the 1930s after the advent of major motor and aerospace industries, in particular Rolls Royce and British Aerospace. There is a mixture of working and white collar classes.

Attached to the parish is the Lockleaze housing estate. The population is mainly white, with a growing Asian and black community. Mass attendance is becoming increasingly multicultural. Some twenty five nations are represented in the worshipping community. There are also many students living in the Parish, attending Bristol University and The University of the West of England. Religious affiliation is broadly in line with national statistics, with all major Christian faiths being represented in the area.

 

Hospitals:

If you are due to enter hospital and would like a visit from a member of the Catholic Chaplaincy Team, then please let Fr. Tom or Deacon Tom know.  Whilst in hospital, make sure you let a member of staff know that you are a Roman Catholic and wish to receive a visit from the Catholic Chaplaincy Team.

Southmead Hospital Chaplaincy: 0117 9595447
City Centre Hospitals Chaplaincy: 0117 3420607

The hospital nearest to St. Teresa’s is Southmead Hospital (Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, BS10 5NB; 0117 950 5050).

 

Schools:

St. Teresa’s Parish shares it primary school with St. Vincent’s Parish in Southmead. It is a one form entry school with a very pleasant atmosphere, where there is a good learning environment. The School has just been judged as Outstanding by OfSted [Sept  2016]

Name: St. Teresa’s Catholic Primary School
Headteacher: Mrs Samantha Land
Deputy:
Address: Luckington Road, Monks Park, Bristol, BS7 0UP.
DfES Number: 3414
Web Site: http://www.st-teresas.bristol.sch.uk

Most of the Year 6 Pupils continue on to St. Bede’s Catholic College, one of Bristol’s Catholic Secondary Schools. It is recognised by OFSTED as an outstanding college, with 99% of Year 11 pupils achieving grades A to C in five or more GCSEs in 2011. Fr. Tom is also the College Chaplain.

Name: St. Bede’s Catholic College
Headteacher: Garry Maher
Deputies: Mrs Elizabeth White and Mr Patrick McDermott
Address: Lawrence Weston Road, Lawrence Weston, Bristol, BS11 0SU.
DfES Number: 4602
Web Site: http://www.stbedescc.org/
Telephone: 0117 377 2200
Fax: 0117 377 2201
Email: contact@stbedescc.org